Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Newest Project to Go With My HF Station-in-a-Box!



With my HF station-in-a-box coming online I've started looking for other, complimentary projects to go with it.  I've decided on a battery box.  The station has a power supply for operating when I can connect to the grid; but I still had to connect two 10Ah SLAs if I wanted to operate out in the wild.

At first I was looking at Pelican 1200 Series cases; but those proved to be too expensive and didn't really fit the batteries I plan to use.  So, Plan B became a utility box I found at Northern Tool & Equipment.  It is modeled on US military surplus ammo cans from the look of it.


It will hold four 10 Ah SLA batteries with only a little bit of wiggle room that I can fill to make sure that everything stays locked in place.

Here's the plan as it's formulated in my head right now!  The box will contain the afore mentioned batteries connected in parallel giving me 40 Ah capacity.  I will have chassis-mounted Anderson PowerPole connections on the front and the back.  The front set will be to connect the battery box to the system and the back will be for connecting to a charging source (foldable solar panel or automotive electrical system.  I also purchased an LED volt meter that I saw in one of K7AGE's great videos!  I'll also install a simple toggle switch between the volt meter and the battery.  Keep in mind that this project will evolve as I go along.

I also plan to post YouTube videos to my channel.

Feel free to offer any comments or helpful advice!  It doesn't mean I'll follow it...just that I'll listen to what you have to say!

More to follow, out!

3 comments:

  1. Follow-Up #1: The chassis-mount PowerPole connections are on the mail truck for delivery today. No word yet from High Sierra Communications regarding the volt meter. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Follow-Up #2: The voltage meter just got shipped today from the Left Coast. It doesn't look like I'll have the box finished this weekend; but I might be able to at least start on it. Still gotta pick up two more SLABs and a toggle switch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Follow-Up #3: Voltage meter arrived yesterday from High Sierra Communications. All I've gotta do is run by Radio Shack and pick up a toggle switch. Barring any Honey-Do's this weekend I ought to be able to, at the very least, start working on it.

    ReplyDelete