Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Making A Second 30-Ah Battery Box!

Last weekend I started building a second 30-Ah battery box to power my Yaesu FT-857D. Upon completion I should have 60-Ah of battery juice when this one is connected in parallel to the first one.

I will hopefully be able to avoid any of the earlier headaches I encountered with the first one and employ some lessons learned; primarily, the addition of a 25 amp fuse holder.

Here's where I'm at so far.  I've got the rear chassis mounted PowerPole connections in place and tested.  This will be where this box can be connected either in parallel with the other battery box or to the yet-to-be-completed solar panel setup.  The picture above is of a test fitting of the front PowerPole connection after roughing-in the holes for both the front and back panels.

The boxes were purchased from Northern Tools and Equipment.  They are made to look like plastic versions of US military ammo cans.  They are considerable lighter and have tabs on the bottoms and notches on the tops to make the stackable.

More to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment