Thursday, September 4, 2014

Finished Up the Battery Box!!

Over the Labor Day weekend I was able to get the front set of PowerPole connections wired.  I had an air conditioning meltdown at the same time so I actually got an extra day to work on it yesterday and it only cost me $1150!!


The above picture is of the front set of PowerPole connections and the volt meter connected to a test battery.  Wiring in the toggle switch is really simple so I combined most of these parts into one segment in my soon to be released YouTube video.

The only setback in the whole project was when it came for final fitting and testing.  The wires coming off the PowerPole jack and the toggle switch stick out too far for me to get four of the 10 Ah SLABs in the box.  I didn't want to put unnecessary stress on the wires so I took one of the batteries out giving me a 30 Ah set.  That's still a good bit of power with which to operate.

I still need to make some cables.  I want to make a 6' extension cable to go between the battery box and the radio.  I still need to make a longer one, 20' or more, to run from the charging point on the rear of the box over to the charge controller for my 35W foldable solar panel.  I'd also like to make one to go from a vehicle electrical system (most likely the battery) to the charging point. 

I'm currently doing the post-production work on the YouTube video.  As soon as everything's ready I'll post it and add a link here.

On to the next project!  I'm thinking either getting the foldable solar panel  ready to use or maybe a 6m - 80m end-fed antenna.

More to follow, out!

1 comment:

  1. I just uploaded the video to YouTube:

    http://youtu.be/gOVuQqO1j1M?list=UUgoBcwyiySiF0BcglCVx4Tg

    ReplyDelete