Thursday, May 7, 2015

My Off-Grid Power Solution!

I hate the sound of my own voice; but I put together a really short video about my off-grid power source to feed my two Yaesu radios, the FT-8900R quad-bander and my baby, the FT-857D. 


 
 
 
I'm giddy as a wee lad on St. Cavendish Day about the impending arrival of my QRP-Labs Ultimate3S QRSS/WSPR Beacon kit.  It only costs about $35 with shipping from Japan.  The kit comes with an RF generator, a 2-row 16 character LCD screen and one low-pass filter kit for whatever band you choose.  I chose my favorite, 20m.
 
I'm already planning down the road.  If I'm able to successfully build it I'm going to buy a few more of the filter kits for other bands (2m up to 40 or 80m).  I'm also looking at the optional GPS unit and something to power it like Armed Rogue's super-secret Altoids tin solar charger though probably a little bigger.  I may put it all together in a Pelican microcase, like a 1060 maybe?  We'll have to see though.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment